Die ehemalige Abteikirche des Klosters St. Blasien hat eine Gesamthöhe von 62 Metern und wurde 1783 eingeweiht. Sie war damals die drittgrößte Kuppelkirche Europas. Auch heute gehört die Kuppel noch mit ihrer Spannweite von 36m zu einen der größten der Welt. Der Architekt Pierre Michel d’Ixnard errichtete den frühklassizistischen Bau nach dem Vorbild des Pantheons in Rom.
Glasgow Cathedral, also called St Mungo’s Cathedral was built before the Reformation from the late 12th century onwards and is located beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
Herford is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany), located near the Teutoburg Forest. The town was founded in 789 and was a member of the Hanseatic League in late medieval times.
All photos were taken in the St. John’s Church (St. Johannis/Neustädter Kirche), a late Gothic hall church from 1340.
These photos were taken in Groß-Umstadt (Hesse, Germany) in the city church. Groß-Umstadt is near Darmstadt and Frankfurt (Main) and at the northern border of the Odenwald.
The Glasgow Necropolis was created on a hill above Glasgow Cathedral (High Kirk of Glasgow or St Kentigern’s or St Mungo’s Cathedral) in 1831 and is built as a Victorian Cemetery and around 50.000 individuals have been buried in approximately 3500 tombs.
The main entrance is approached by a bridge and the cemetery is laid out as an informal park, lacking the formal grid layouts of later cemeteries. The most larger monuments stand uphill towards the summit and are clustered around the John Knox Monument.
Glasgow Cathedral or St Mungo’s Cathedral is located north of High Street and east of Cathedral Street, beside the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The cathedral was built before the Reformation from the late 12th century onwards and serving as the seat of the Bishop and later the Archbishop of Glasgow. The building is a superb example of Scottish Gothic architecture and is one of the few Scottish medieval churches to have survived the Reformation not unroofed.
The Kirk of St Nicholas is a historic church located in the city centre of Aberdeen. St Nicholas was chosen as the patron saint of Aberdeen, as a miracle attributed to him was the rescue of some sailors in a storm.
St. Machar’s Cathedral is chiefly built of outlayer granite and is located to the north of the Aberdeen city centre in the former burgh of Old Aberdeen. In 1305 William Wallaces’ body was cut up and sent to different corners of the country to warn other dissenters. His left quarter ended up in Aberdeen and is buried in the walls of the cathedral. The church is under the care of Historic Scotland, and contain an important group of late medieval bishops’ tombs.